Tuesday, August 12, 2008

gotta start somewhere

So, I totally quit keeping up with this blog - obviously. THAT didn't last long. I have a hard time keeping consistent when daily life gets in the way - especially because we have dial-up, and I just often do NOT have the patience to wait for everything to load. But I really really want to start making notes of what we do everyday. People often want to know what we do all day, and half the time, I can't remember! (But we do lots, I promise!) So, I finally figured out how to email my posts in - that'll make life a lot easier. I can add to the post throughout the day, and then just hit send before I go to bed. Why didn't I do this before???

This morning was the Perseid meteor shower. So, I got up at 4:30am and went to stand in the backyard to see what I could see. I saw one meteor in about 10 minutes. It was getting a bit cloudy, and there was a lot of glare from city lights. I knew that dh did not want to drive out to the fields, and the backyard was not a good enough view to wake Samuel. Maybe next year.

Got up and had breakfast with dh for once: smoked salmon, avocado, and neufchatel cheese on a toasted English muffin. Mmmmm. Dh skipped the avocado and the toasting part. Doesn't know what he's missing. Samuel got up just before dh left for work, but wanted to snuggle in bed, so we went back there and talked and were silly until he got hungry around 9. He has been wanting to play Uno today, and he keeps trying to stack the deck!

On Friday, we found a monarch egg on a leaf of milkweed vine in our yard, so we brought it in. Last year, we found a monarch caterpillar, but he was nearly full grown when we started taking care of him. Our egg hatched on Sunday morning!

teeny tiny


Then on Monday, Samuel found first another egg and then a new hatchling. The egg didn't hatch, and it accidentally got smushed so I think it's a lost cause. But we have two baby caterpillars now. You can see how much they grow in one day - the smaller one is only a day behind the bigger one!

100_1312

Samuel has been getting them fresh leaves every day, but I had to caution him to check first to make sure that he doesn't bring in anymore eggs or caterpillars - two is enough!

He just ran in, VERY excited that he saw a female cardinal. I guess it has been a while since he saw one! We see sparrows and goldfinches at the thistle feeder mostly. I can hear a woodpecker out the window, too.


This afternoon: more Uno games (and deck-stacking attempts - does he really think I'll let him have all the Wild Draw 4's in one hand???), cleaning up around the house, and Samuel worked on his giant sea turtle. He's making it out of poster board, and I think it's probably close to life-size. He has a bunch of babies, so I guess this will be the mama.

Went to dinner at dh's work - they ordered pizza for the staff and some returning students. Came home, had ice cream with Grandma's homemade fudge sauce (heavenly!) and crashed!

Now we'll see how this whole emailing thing works!

No comments: